A Los Angeles woman apparently killed herself with a chainsaw in her apartment, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Fire officials said evidence indicates the 47-year-old woman may have been dead for a day, the paper reported.
The woman’s sister found the body and a suicide note in their apartment Thursday after midnight, KNX 1070 Newsradio reported.
LAPD Officer Norma Eisenman told the Times that the door to the woman’s apartment was jammed, but “the sister was able to see her on the bed with a chainsaw next to her.”
“She has a neck wound, but it hasn’t officially been ruled a suicide yet, though that’s what it appears to be,” LA County coroner spokesman Larry Dietz told the Times.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News
- Is 14 too young for life in prison? Supreme Court to weigh
- $10 million Degas is latest mystery in Huguette Clarke case
- Woman, 88, strangled to death by clothes in escalator
- Teen texts cops: ‘I hid the body … now what?’
- Alleged Manhattan madam changes lawyers